Friday, January 28, 2011

21st Century Skills

I know it seems contradictory to blog about not really loving blogs, but I can’t help it.  A week ago I had never read a blog. I value a beautifully bound book that smells faintly of the library, or a magazine filled with pages I can actually turn, not tabs I can click. I love sending a letter to my mom every once in a while, and receiving one back written in her perfect hand. Unfortunately, in the 21st century I chat with my mom on facebook and the only one who writes a letter to me anymore is my grandmother (Thanks, Nanni G!)

I guess even I have to admit that there is some beauty in a blog, voice. I would recommend schools use blogs to give students a voice. One of my students confessed to me that she writes a poetry blog, and has been since last year.  I can only imagine what a community of poets can learn from each other. I think that as students collaborate across great time and space on topics they love, they redefine learning. Gone are the days where only the teacher teachers.  Everyone is a teacher now. Everyone is a learner.

One thing I’d like to see is a community of bloggers dedicated to building a better school climate. They would wind up using their problem solving skills to create a set of standards for behavior. They’d have to be innovative as they strive to promote their ideas to each other; they’d have to weigh the benefits of each suggestion and come to a consensus on their goals for the year.  I think that an outlet to communicate with administrators and teachers would give students a sense of ownership. Also, as they interact with adult models, they sharpen their skills in talking with (and like) an adult, an ever necessary job skill.

I suppose, for now, I will focus on the voice it gives to our 21st century learners, and embrace the freedom it gives students to customize their learning.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using a blog to bring about some type of social actions. There are lots of examples of that our in the real world. How would you see getting it started with a small group of students? It would really have to come from them. Could it be a product of some type of research project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it could be research based, but I'd love to see a createive writing class blog about the writing process and share their thoughts and ideas with each other. Maybe even share short works, lines, and/or their knowledge of editing/publishing, or maybe discuss their favorite books and characters in literature for a semester.

    ReplyDelete