Friday, January 28, 2011

Teachers Using Blogs

I am having trouble seeing how my school would use blogs in the near future. Access to computer labs tends to be a great difficulty. As the focus on technology grows, we as educators try to implement new technology based projects into our lessons. This wonderful move forward has created congestion in our LMC and computer labs, which means students coming in the LMC during their study hall time have limited access to work on projects at school.

If these challenges were to magically disappear, I would hope to see my school use blogs to provide an academic based social network where kids could ask and answer their own questions about the things they learn in class. I am always impressed by the students who ask high level questions and strive to contemplate answers on their own. I think blogs could create a community of students who are interested in taking things to higher level of investigation.  Sometimes I feel as if the gifted and talented students in our schools are looking for more educational opportunities. Perhaps blogs would create such an outlet.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100% that increased use "has created congestion in our LMC and computer labs, which means students coming in the LMC during their study hall time have limited access to work on projects at school." I think as long as we are stuck with the computer lab model students will always have limited access. Schools are beginning to look at portable technologies that can be used at any time any where. The biggest change would be to have students have individual access to their own technology, but we're not there yet.

    I think one of the biggest strengths of all this social media is the ability for students to take control of their own learning.

    ReplyDelete