Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Little Technology Infusion

I have used discussion forums in my classroom to host literature discussions and it is the best example of something I do that falls in line with David Warlick’s idea of a technological learning environment. I enjoy the fact that all students get to voice their opinion and that they ask their own very interesting questions. I also like that they defend their answers drawing other students’ attention to the text. Sometimes, not very often, they add links or refer each other to other books and sources. Discussions online have been able to put kids at the steering wheel. When I see that kind of interaction between students I get excited about them taking their education into their own hands. It shows that they realize that there is more to learn than what they are asked to learn. I think that any tools we can utilize that help students make these realizations are worth the time and energy for us and them.

No comments:

Post a Comment