Thursday, February 3, 2011

Someday Google Will Run the World.

I’ve always loved it as a search engine, but I’m realizing now how innovative that company really is. I can see how google docs could be of great use for classrooms, businesses, and personal projects. Having heard of google docs, but not having used it, I was worried that it would be difficult to set up and difficult to communicate with. In our group assignment, we used traditional e-mail to communicate, but google docs to view and change our project. I really liked it. In the past, I’d have to meet with my group in person. That is can create scheduling difficulties. Once we’d meet face to face, we’d make small talk and then get to work. Inevitably, right when we started to make progress, someone would have to leave.

I liked google.docs because it was easy to use and VERY convenient, a serious time saver. When my group and I e-mailed, the correspondence was on the point, mostly business, and short. I also could revisit the old e-mails if I had questions, and any changes any group member made to the documents would be sent to individual e-mail accounts. My classmate even had her alerts sent to her phone so that she would know immediately if one of us was changing the documents or requesting help.  I loved it. I think there could be a number of classroom uses for the program as well. Students who can’t stay after school or have other obligations could work on presentations from anywhere at their own convenience.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post's title! At least their company motto is "Don't be evil." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_be_evil

    I am interested in the classmate with the phone alerts. I would love to know how she set that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure exactly how it worked. I'll e-mail you her name and you can ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always use the Google Mobile app but that is best of just searching. On the iPhone, GoDocs is really what you want to view and edit GoogleDocs. I'm not sure about Android apps for GoogleDocs.

    If you go to GoogleDocs help, there is a section on using GoogleDocs on a mobile device (http://docs.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=15141).

    ReplyDelete